Friday, September 19, 2008

Back from Orlando and into the Storm!

We're back from Orlando. We arrived home last Thursday. So why am I just now sharing the news about our trip? Because we arrived home just in time for a storm! Hurricane Ike hit the U.S. and had a big impact on many of my family and friends.

We spent Friday waiting to hear from Christine and baby John. If you remember, they live in Corpus Christi and for a while they thought they would have to leave. If so, Mom was going to go help because Christine is going to have another baby besides John and Mom wanted to be there to help if necessary. But we heard Friday evening that they could stay and so we thought we could rest a little easier. We knew that we still had many friends in harm's way, but all we could do for them was pray that they would be safe.

Saturday we got up early and went car shopping. Mom thinks she wants a new Jeep. We didn't buy one but Mom found a couple she is interested in. We got home, called Christine to see if they were okay, had dinner, and settled in for a quiet evening. Both Mom and I must have fallen asleep in our chair because suddenly we heard noise like a train heading straight for the house. Mom got up fast and went outside. The wind was blowing and it was raining so hard that even Iris, our outdoor cat, decided to come in! Mom was going to turn on the television to see what the weather man said, but just then the lights went off! I don't like the dark and the noise scared me so I started to cry but Mom picked me up and went to get a flashlight. She took Iris upstairs to Dad and then came back down and lit some candles. She said she was going to wait a bit to see if the power came back on. We waited for what I thought was a long time and then we finally went to bed.

So now you know why I haven't posted yet. By the time the lights and then the computer came back on it was Monday. And then Mom got busy trying to find out about our friends. And she also found out that a hotel in Texas where one of Mom's friends was supposed to have a meeting soon - well it got the roof blown off. So Mom has been busy trying to find another place for them. When she is busy she tells me she doesn't have time to type for me so I have to be patient and wait. Today she finally called me into the office and said we could write about our trip.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Orlando Lake Buena Vista. Mom said she had heard really good things about this hotel and wanted to check it out. I was a bit disappointed. The rooms were small! Smaller than other hotels we've stayed in and I like to have room to walk around and stretch my legs after a long drive. And Mom said they charged $100 extra for me to stay there. That's more than many other places we've been. The air conditioner made a lot of noise but fortunately, Mom never leaves it on at night so I was able to sleep. The staff was nice to me and they did bring me a different snack every night. Mom says they do that for all of the guests but I think Lola and I had a special bond! All in all I would give it 3 bones. (By the way, my bones aren't working on my computer. Mom said something happened to them because Dad was on the computer during the storm. But she said she can fix it - she just needs to find time. So meanwhile, you just have to imagine bones!). You can check out the hotel at http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcorl-residence-inn-orlando-lake-buena-vista/.

Whenever we are in Orlando, Mom always takes me to Hip Dog. I love it there! It's got a place where I can swim in warm water. Mom comes in the pool with me. She says lots of people bring their dogs here to help them after they get hurt or get old. Mom and I just come to swim in the warm water. But I have to admit, I do walk a little better after I've been in there. Hip Dog is one of my favorite places in Orlando. 5 bones!!! Check them out at http://www.hipdog.net/.

Orlando has a lot of parks just for us. At many of them, I don't even need to wear my leash! My favorite is Downey Dog Park. It has a play area for small dogs like me so I don't have to be afraid of the bigger dogs, a time out area, water fountains, and even poop stations! Mom and I go there whenever we come to Orlando. 5 bones for Downey Dog Park. Mom says they don't have a website but you can find them by looking for information on Orange County Dog Parks.

Mom had to meet with a client. That's why we came to Orlando. Mimi was one of Mom's very first clients and knows me. That's why Mom said I could come. We met Mimi for lunch so I could come too. We went to Cafe Bravissimo which has really good lasagna! That's what Mom had and she shared a little bit with me. We had to sit outside because I'm not allowed in the actual restaurant. But Mimi said she prefers dining outside anyway. And the person who brought us our food said it was okay for dogs to be there as long as they were well-behaved and on a leash. We have never been here before - Mimi chose it - but I liked it so I give it 5 bones. You can see their menu at http://www.cafebravissimo.com/.

We also had dinner one day at Dexter's of Thornton Park. I like it here because they bring me a water bowl. I can't go on the weekend, because they say it's too busy and I get in the way. But on Tuesday night, when we went, it was nice. Mom got something with meatballs so she could share a couple with me. They were yummy! And I got to just rest under the table while Mom and Mimi talked. I enjoyed it - especially the meatballs! 5 bones for Dexter's meatballs! http://www.dexwine.com/

We soon left for home. It's a long drive and we only went for a couple of days to see Mimi. But I got to swim and go to the dog park - and have some yummy meatballs! I know Mom was tired but it was a good trip for me. Next time, I am going to take PopArtDiva's advice and make Mom take our video camera so we can put movies online so you can see these places too.

Until our next trip!

4 comments:

Vicki M. Taylor said...

Bob, sounds like you had such a great time in Orlando. I didn't realize it was so dog-friendly. I'll have to remember that when I'm traveling with my dog, Jack. Thanks!

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Bob - Pixel says they shouldn't be charging you extra to stay there - they should be paying you extra!!

When your pop art is done and you're famous they'll be sorry they didn't bring you extra treats and give you the royal treatment, lol!

Pixel thinks everyone should think of dogs as extra special!

PopArtDiva

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to run to Orlando with my Buddy!! We want to swim together, too.

Hugs,

Sally

wwww.drsallywitt.com

Parents Rule! said...

I am enjoying this series, Bob. Keep writing.