Sunday, April 19, 2009

Top 10 Places To Vacation with Your Mom and Dad

Mom and I like to travel. Sometimes we even take Dad with us. In our travels we have discovered that some places are more welcoming to pets than others. So here's my list of the top 10 places to travel with your Mom and Dad!

1. My own neighborhood - Northwest Arkansas. Whether you stay in Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville, or Fayetteville, there are hotels that will make you feel welcome. Lots of outdoor trails and parks to walk and play in. Big Wag Dog Bakery! Boat rides on Beaver Lake. It just doesn't get any better than this.

2. Colorado Springs, Colorado - home of the Olympic Training Center, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods and the U.S. Air Force Academy. Plenty of pet-friendly hotels, dog parks, and 113 vets!

3. Portland, Oregon - a garden for mom, lots of places to stay, the largest city park in the US for me to visit, and more dog parks than almost any other city in the country!

4. Albuquerque, New Mexico - mom loves taking me to see the petroglyphs (whatever they are. All I know is it's a nice walk). Plenty of places to stay, Three Dog Bakery (almost as good as Big Wag Dog Bakery) and the Annual Doggie Dash & Dawdle, Animal Humane's largest fundraiser.

5. Austin, Texas - Mom and Dad found Austin on a trip to Corpus Christie. Mom loves bats and Austin is home to the largest urban bat colony in North America. I was hoping I could chase them like I do the birds at home, but Mom only lets me sit by her and watch. There are lots of pet-friendly hotels and dog parks for me.

6. Asheville, North Carolina - We just discovered Asheville through our friend, Beverly Mahone. If you read my story about her and Asheville then you know why I love it. Great places to stay and things to do. There's even a camp for dogs!

7. Charlotte, North Carolina - Another great place in North Carolina. Mom likes baseball and the Charlotte Knights baseball team has a day that they let their four-legged fans come watch them play. Charlotte is also the home of Barbara's Canine Cafe and Catering. Again - it's not Big Wag but it's a close second when I'm far from home. Lots of parks and pet-friendly hotels.

8. Virginia Beach, Virginia - Maggie Wags Dog Boutique (I still have my Egg Babies), Just Dogs Gourmet, Canino's Pet Bakery and Boutique (Cheese and Bacon birthday cakes!), and lots of other places that cater just to us. Virginia may be for lovers but Virginia Beach is for dogs!

9. St. Louis, Missouri - St. Louis has an entire museum dedicated just to dogs - The American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog. 'Nuff said!

10. Orlando, Florida - Beaches, beaches, and more beaches. Great hotels to stay in. Sun and sand - what more could a dog want?!
blog comments powered by Disqus